Families who travel together reap a lot of benefits: better health, reduced stress, renewed bonds and shared memories. Whether traveling a long distance for an extended trip or staying closer to home for a long weekend, spring break is the perfect opportunity for families to escape their daily routines of work, school, homework, chores, practices and carpools, and have some good old-fashioned fun. Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park offers families a sure-fire plan to get rid of the doldrums:
1. Gain a new perspective from Mother Nature: The Adventure Park is nestled in the Rocky Mountains above Glenwood Springs, Colorado. After a scenic 10-minute gondola ride with views of snow-capped mountains, two rivers and the Roaring Fork Valley, you will feel nature’s calming effect kick in.
2. Learn something new to spark creativity: A guided tour of Glenwood Caverns provides the chance to learn about the area’s rich history and geology in a beautiful underground setting. Who knows what ideas might be triggered by a visit to the most highly decorated cave room in Colorado, filled with glittering formations?
3. Pump up the adrenaline: Get the heart pumping with a race down the mountain on the state’s longest Alpine Coaster. Unlike most thrill rides, you control the speed and can fly screaming around the curves and over the bumps, or use the brakes and go at your own pace as you wind through the trees.
4. Yuck it up: Laughter really is the best medicine. Throw in a few surprises and a scream or two, and the 4D Motion Theater can be a real mood-changer. Featuring three films: “A Night at the Toy Store,” “Journey to the Center of the Earth” and “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.”
5. Take out frustrations with a laser: A game of laser tag, that is. A little healthy competition in an Old West setting, using the latest in wireless laser tag technology, can help get everyone laughing again.
6. Break bread together: Talk about the day over a meal. What was each family member’s favorite part? What did they learn? What was the funniest thing that happened? An impromptu awards ceremony with silly photos can be turned into a memory book for the family to share.
7. Start planning: Now’s the time for a family time-out. Numerous studies have shown the benefits of travel: travelers rate their health higher while on vacation and report that they sleep better upon return; employees are more creative and productive after a vacation; and couples who travel together strengthen their relationships.*
Our mission is to make people smile — so our employees are dedicated to helping you have a good time. The Funday Pass this winter is just $30 per person and includes the gondola ride and unlimited access to the Alpine Coaster, Laser Tag Arena and 4D Motion Theater. Guests can add the guided Cave Tour for just $5 more.
The mountain-top Lookout Grille has a cozy fire and menu choices that include nachos, bratwursts, hot dogs, salads, soup, sandwiches, wraps, chili and Colorado-raised hormone-free burgers, ranging in price from $5.95 to $9.95. Kids can choose mac and cheese, a hot dog or a cheese quesadilla, with chips and a small drink for $5.95.
Conveniently located on I-70 midway between Aspen and Vail, the Adventure Park is close to many of Colorado’s top vacation destinations: three hours from Denver, four hours from Colorado Springs and 90 minutes from Grand Junction. Vail, Aspen, Aspen Highlands, Beaver Creek, Snowmass and Buttermilk are located within an hour of the park. Breckenridge, Winter Park, Powderhorn, Steamboat, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Ski Cooper and SolVista are within two hours.
Glenwood Springs features the world’s largest hot springs pool, hiking and biking trails, fishing, a vaudeville show, shopping, award-winning restaurants and affordable lodging options. The local Sunlight Mountain Resort offers downhill skiing and riding, trails for Nordic and snowshoeing, and snowmobile tours.
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park is currently open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday through Monday, but will extend its hours for spring. Beginning March 8, the park will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Follow us on Facebook for more information.
* More information about the benefits of travel is available from the U.S. Travel Association.