Sunday, June 21st was the first official day of summer! In Glenwood Springs, CO and Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, summer is definitely in full swing. There’s more than ever to do at the park, and you can pack in a lot of fun in a day.
Some folks at the park recently produced a video with helpful tips for having the best possible experience, and it’s a must-watch when preparing for a summer day at the park. Below are a few of the tips and suggestions covered in the video:
1. During the height of summer, plan to stay at the park a little longer, and plan your activities accordingly. There’s a chance there will be lines for the most popular attractions (such as the Alpine Coaster and the Soaring Eagle Zip Ride). It’s best to arrive at the park in the morning and head straight to those attractions to beat the lines and the strongest sun. Know that there is a lot to do, and larger crowds, so you may end up staying at the park longer than you would other times of the year.
2. In the middle of the day, head to the caves! When the sun is at it’s strongest, the caves are always a cool 52 degrees (you will probably even want a light jacket or sweatshirt). Other options to beat the heat are the air-conditioned General Store gift shop and the Lookout Grille (which also has a giant fan right outside the door).
3. When you are in the sun, protect yourself! Wearing light-colored, cotton fabrics will keep you cool and protect your skin. Don’t forget the hats, sunglasses and sunscreen! Although if you do forget sunscreen, you can use ours for free: you’ll find it at the Tram Base, at the Guest Services Shack right outside the General Store gift shop and at the refreshment stand by the Cliffhanger Roller Coaster.
4. Stay hydrated. Drink fluids throughout the day, and take frequent water breaks. You can buy a refillable souvenir cup at the Lookout Grille, and bring it back anytime – even during another visit – for a $1.00 refill. There’s also free ice water in the Lookout Grille and a water fountain at the Guest Services Shack.
5. Prepare for short thunderstorms. Especially during July and August, there are frequently thunderstorms in the afternoon. The weather does affect the availability of the attractions and the Iron Mountain Tramway because safety is our number-one concern at the park. However, the storms are often short-lived and are followed by beautiful weather. Heading in to play laser tag or see a movie in the 4D theater is a fun way to pass the time during a thunderstorm.
6. Plan ahead so everyone is happy! We know that kids in particular can have high expectations when preparing for a trip to an exciting place. Buy your tickets online ahead of time so you can get up to the park quicker. And be sure to check the height and age restrictions for the rides. Talk about what rides everyone is most excited for, and plan to do those early in the day. Discuss the possibility of afternoon thunderstorms so the whole family is prepared.
7. Have fun! There’s nothing like spending a day full of fun with family and friends at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. By following these tips (and watching the video), you can ensure that everyone will leave happy and fulfilled!